Tuesday, September 8, 2015

About Ebba Lekvall

Hi I'm Ebba, 

I am a culturally confused (10 years abroad in five different countries, three and a half languages, and a circle of friends from all over the world will do that to you) Swedish citizen currently living in Kosovo where I work as an International Research Fellow at a local think tank. 

I am a huge international law nerd, particularly when it comes to international humanitarian law, international criminal law, and transitional justice. My interest in these issues comes from the 1990s war in the Balkans and the genocide in Rwanda, and I have been on a quest to improve our response to war, persecution and other injustices ever since in order to provide some form of justice to victims. This journey has taken me from a BA in at the American University of Paris, to an LLB at University of Oxford and finally an LLM in International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at University of Essex. 

My research has primarily been in the areas of international criminal law (on the topics such as command responsibility and the crime of extermination), sexual violence in conflict, and most recently transitional justice. My LLM dissertation dealt with the issue of state responsibility for financing their own reparations programs in the wake of mass atrocities. I have also worked with Burma issues in various capacities since August 2010 so I will most likely blog a lot about Burma as well. 

Lastly, as I was born and raised in Sweden I am not very familiar with the Justice League characters. However, after having done some quick research have decided to choose Wonder Woman. Although I don't have a warrior upbringing, I would like to think that I am, like Wonder Woman, fighting evil 'while hoping to unlock the potential of a humanity [I don't] always understand'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment